Sunday 9 December 2012

50s dinner - Cucumber Gratin & Potato nests

And so to the accompaniments....



I wanted to try this dish as the idea of cooking cumber seemed to ludicruis.   I then read about a french dish where they do this and I wondered if it was so crazy after all.  Still sounded like a pretty odd idea.

Cucumber au Gratin

1 cucumber
2 oz. grated cheese
1/2 pint white sauce

Steam peeled pieces of cucumber for 20-30 minutes until tender.  Place in a dish with most of the cheese and sauce,sprinklinkg a little more cheese on top, and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brow.


  
The taste test

I thought the cucumber would be all slimy, but it was firm, with a similar texture to a gherkin.  Not strongly flavoured in itself, but good with the creamy, salty sauce.  We all had seconds.


Potato Nests

These are simply mashed potato piped into 'nests', baked and filled with cooked peas.  I say simply.  Have you ever tried piping mashed potato?  Yeah, it looks easy when they do it on Masterchef.  I have more respect for this skill after having my piping bag exploded and I enedd up with mash in my hair. 




The taste test
Well, it was mashed potato with peas.  The presentation doesn't change the basic flavour.  It looked great, but I needed a bath.  Maybe I'll stick to dinner lady presentation in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment